From the Planet Buckwild

From the Planet Buckwild

Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Phantom Tollbooth

This week, I'd like to talk about a book, my favorite book that is. 

Norton Juster's "The Phantom Tollbooth"

I first read this book early on in elementary school, I'm not sure exactly how old I was, but what I do know was that this was the first book I personally identified as a favorite. 

The story chronicles the journey of a dull and uninterested boy Milo, through a strange land he had access to through a mysterious tollbooth.

The entire book is a fun ride, making learning and educational concepts exciting and interesting. Norton Juster plays with language. Double meanings, idioms, and diction are made funny and intriguing. Juster questions logic and exposes faults, he shows the struggle between math and literature through the warring kingdoms of Dictionopolis and Digitopolis.

By the end, the reader is left for an intense craving for knowledge, and wanting to become skilled in language and mathematics, and wanting to stay away from the "doldrums" or the "mountains of ignorance", overall, effectively conveying an extremely positive message that sticks with you.

1 comment: